Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Day I Married Him. My Best Friend.

I'll admit it now. I was nervous. I guess you can say my nerves got the best of me seven days before, and I just had no idea how to control them except to let them stay. I kept telling myself they would go away as the days got closer, but they only got worse. Why? Still to this day, I have no idea. Maybe it was the fact that I was getting married, and it is a big step. I remembered telling the gals the night before at our sleepover, I was nervous. They did everything from making me laugh to keeping me at ease. I remembered being so grateful for having some of the world's greatest girlfriends to do that for me.

The morning of was bliss. It was an indescribable form of happiness. However, my nerves, why yes, they were still there. After toasting with my bridesmaids to friendship and love, my uncle came to tell me it was time to head downstairs.

I remembered the next moments ever so clearly. I remembered stepping into the elevator while the gals giggled about random things. I remembered them walking me to where everyone else was gathered in the hallway awaiting for my arrival. I remembered how loud it was as we walked closer and closer. I remembered my heart beating so loudly that I thought everyone around me could hear it. My nerves, yes, they were at an all time high at this point. And, that is when I remembered one of my best gals, Susie, telling me something earlier that week I would remember for years and years to come about marriage. "Getting married is making your best friend stay your best friend forever."

Keeping her insight in mind, I remembered approaching the big group of people, my legs and hands shaking. So many people were talking to me that all I could do was nod my head yes. It was then, I saw him, when time literally stopped for a few moments and he and I were the only ones there or so it seemed to me. There, stood before me, was my best friend. He had this smile on his face that made me weak in the knees instantly and want to cry happy tears. He looked so handsome. That is when they left. My nerves. And, for that moment, I felt like a burden was lifted off my body. I guess that is all it took. That look, that smile from him to make everything ok. Because that is all that is usually takes. He's my best friend and the same man who chases my fears, tears, worries and even my nerves away. Always.

As for our wedding day, it was more than fabulous! Nothing in our eyes went wrong that day, and all I remember is seeing a look of happiness and love from all of our families and friends. And, just as everyone suggested to take everything in that day and enjoy it, I did just that. I smiled every second that day. I laughed with our wedding party. My heart skipped a beat everytime Bryan called me his wifey or someone called me Mrs. Lindsey. I screamed with Bryan's family as I was finally an official member of their family. I was stuffed in a photobooth with my besties snorting and laughing as we took crazy pictures. I watched my mum cry happy and sad tears as her little girl grew up a bit that day. I was thrown in the air on the dance floor. My heart melted a bit more each time I heard Bryan's sisters call me their sister. I hugged my mum-in-law otherwise known as to me, Mama Roundtree, a lot that day. I cried silent tears deep inside when I danced with my dad because I love him THAT much. I squeezed my little brother's hand and saw the joy in his face as he got the big brother he has always wanted. I danced with and kissed Bryan every chance I got. I soaked up every second of the best day I possibly have experienced in the past twenty-five years. It was almost as if we had dreamed everything that happened that day. But, we didn't. The best part was waking up Sunday morning smiling at him. My hubby and my best friend. As Mrs. Lindsey.

To get a glimpse of our wedding day, take a peek at our amazing photographer's blog today and throughout the week: http://kellymanno.blogspot.com/. (Feel free to leave some love aka comments on her blog as well!) Kelly and Erica, you gals rock for not only photographing your first Indian wedding so well but doing so with grace and pretty much awesomeness! xoxo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was kinda nervous too but I tried to look like I wasn't so hopefully I could help you feel less nervous. Guess it worked! Your my best friend too!

lub

your hubbs

Amy Lunn said...

Shefy,

I had no idea that you could write like this! I stumbled upon your blog a couple weeks ago and am loving the progession that your pictures have taken. It seems like you have really come in to yourself. I'm so happy that your day was everything that you wanted it to be. Saw the sneak on manno's blog. You look beautiful. I hope you and Bryan have a beautiful life together. <3 Amy L.