Saturday, February 27, 2010

Daddy's Little Girl.

When I was in high school, I ran cross-country and track. It was my life. It formed me into a mentally and physically strong woman. It was through running daily practices, off-season training and my meets that I was able to believe in myself. However, I had another reason why I pushed myself and ran harder each time. My dad. He would wake up early in the mornings. I am talking three o'clock in the morning early. He would work extra hard, just so he could come see me run. To see my dad there at every one of my meets meant the entire world to me. He probably never knew this. This is just one of the many times he has always been there for me.

You see, today is his birthday. I cannot help but think of all he has done for my mum, my brother and me. If there is one man I know who has an indescribable strength, it is my dad. He is super dad. You think I am kidding but I am not. I look at someone like my dad, and I think, now there is someone who has been selfless his whole life. When my mum needed help, he dropped everything to be by her side to help. This past year, anytime I called him in tears or in frustration, he knew just what to say to calm my heart. My dad is the reason why I believe in myself and have followed my heart and my dreams. His unconditional love, compassion and strength are just a few of the many traits I admire in him and look up to.

In about three months, I get to have THE dance with him. You know, the father-daughter dance. The dance that gives me a chance to soak in all the years of memories I had with my dad and all the years to come. Just thinking about it gets me choked up. I think back to the pictures I see of us in photo albums. Deep down in my heart, I can't help but think how I will always be daddy's little girl.

Dad, I hope today is filled with nothing but happiness. If there is anyone who deserves the gift of pure bliss, it is you. I love you!

No comments: