Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Seeds of Passion: Jasmine Star.























Have you ever read words so powerful that it moved you? You know, it made you tear up a bit, make your heart smile really big or want to make yourself a better person. The first time I came across Jasmine Star's blog, it did all three of the above. I did not just read one entry, but I sat there for a few hours reading about her journey as a photographer, daughter, wife and so much more. You see, she happened to stumble across photography the same way I did; it kind of found her. Her story is inspiring. I'm not talking, I'm inspired to try this out and see what happens. I'm talking, I am doing this without thinking twice about it. She was a law student at a prestige university in good ol' Cali when her mother was diagnosed with cancer. I think at that moment, her life changed. She took a year off from law school to be with her mother, and she married the love of her life, JD in hopes that her mother would get to see her a married woman. It was through her wedding photographer, David Jay, she discovered wedding photography was what she wanted. Her mother battled the cancer and survived. The night before she was going back to law school, she started to cry at dinner. She told her husband, JD, she didn't want to go back. He asked her what she wanted to do, and she replied, I want to be a wedding photographer. It was then that JD said two sentences that made Jasmine follow her heart and dream big; she has never looked back since then. He said, I never married you to be miserable. I would rather see you fail at something you love than to see you succeed at something you hate.

If you ever get the chance to read her words, I have a feeling they will impact you in the same way. Her words inspire me to be a better photographer. Really push the limits. Besides inspiring other photographers like myself, her writing of her love for her husband, JD, reminds me where my priorities lie in life. To love as hard as possible and really live. Her love for JD reminds me a lot of my love for Bryan. If it were not for Bryan and his constant love and support, I probably would not be where I am today-happy and living life to the fullest. It was through Jasmine's blog and advice to other photographers that I learned to write and represent who I am today!

Happy Tuesday!

No comments: