Friday, December 11, 2009

A Dove Chocolate Wrapper.

My roommate, Martha, had just unwrapped a Dove almond dark chocolate. (Delicious little treats they are.) As she read the inside of the message, she looked at me and handed it to me. You keep it. I flipped the wrapper to the read the message. I smiled. It was just what I needed. Especially now.

You see in a little over a month, I am going to start graduate school. Start a new career. Continue down this new path I am on in my life. Needless to say, it is a big change. It is only understandable as to why I have moments where nervousness gets the best of me. Don't get me wrong. I am very excited. Alongside dreaming about marrying Bryan, having some munchkins of our own and becoming a photographer, teaching is something I have dreamt long enough about. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to realize everything in the past few months have actually happened.

At times, I wondered if I am doing the right thing or if I am headed down the right path. The message inside the Dove wrapper gave me the reassurance that I needed that day (of course my friends and Bryan were a big help as well). Some have told me I am crazy. To give up my engineering job, salary and benefits to become a photographer and a teacher. Others have commended me on having the courage to do both. You see, I could have stayed an engineer. I could have made a great living. I could have been successful in that sense. However, it was not the right path for me. I choose to be surrounded by people and kids. I want to meet families, couples and children who I can bring love, laughter and their true selves in photographs. I want to help kids. I want them to dream, to make something of themselves and to never stop believing they are capable of anything they put their minds to. (The same values I want to teach our own children someday.) So, yes, maybe I am crazy to give up the success I could have been as an engineer. However, the rewards of being a photographer, a teacher, a soon-to-be-wife and one day, a mother are much greater!

It is the message on the inside of the Dove chocolate wrapper that reminded me that what I am doing is incredibly worth it.

Be forever the optimist and dream big. You never know where life is going to lead you.

Sip on some hot cocoa, go ice-skating or watch your favorite holiday movie; whatever you choose to do, have a warm and fun weekend!

Happy Friday!

No comments: