Monday, August 23, 2010

Falling in Love for a Second Time.

I guess you can say I am surprised. I thought it would be just another idea I would quit within one year. You see, I am notorious for quitting. I come up with a brilliant idea and think it is my perfect fit. Not even weeks later, I quit, come up with another brilliant idea and repeat this lovely cycle. For the past five years. Ask anyone who knows me. They will tell you I am right. So, I guess you can say I am surprised because I actually thought I was going to quit before I even started this idea. I even went through a semester in graduate school for education just because I thought this was not going to work out. But something happened. I did not like photography. I fell in LOVE with photography. I am talking head over heels in love. And, it has been one year. Exact.

I had no idea when I got engaged that I would meet someone who would significantly change my life. Our wedding photographer, Kelly Manno. I loved everything about the photographs she took. The color, the lighting, the creativity and the beautiful people. My heart did the "Shefy Shake" deep inside when she talked passionately about how much she loved her job. And, don't even get me started on blogs. I think they were the reason why I did not go insane at my full-time job at the time that I did not enjoy. As the moments went by while we planned our wedding, I fell hopelessly in love with photography and blogging. It seemed so perfect being able to be an artist, work with little ones and people and be a writer. It was everything I dreamed of but never knew of. Like an unknown dream dying to become a reality.

How photography and I found one another is a mystery to me to this day. All I know is one day I woke up and thought, what the heck, let me give this a shot. Just like that, I found my purpose, my perfect fit and what I think God had planned for me all along. I had no idea what the heck an f stop was, how to use Photoshop or how to market myself. However, I was VERY driven. Asking questions and a LOT of determination mixed in with self-teaching myself everything I need to know through the Internet, books and other photographers is how I have not quit. I am constantly inspired and passionate. Passionate about photography, art, people, love and emotions. Don't get me wrong. I had my bad days, my share of unhappy clients, people telling me I was crazy, I am pretty sure I wanted to throw my computer out the window and other photographers discouraging me away from this industry. However, it has never affected my happiness. I used this to fuel my photography to become a better photographer and writer.

My biggest goal for this next year is to help friends and other photographers who are starting in this industry as much as I can. Giving back in other words. By no means am I an "expert" and I have a LOT of learning to do to get to the "expert" level. So, in celebration of my sweat, tears and hard work this year, I will share five things I have learned in the past year that has made me a better photographer.

Tip 1: Take risks. And follow your heart! These two things will lead you to unknown dreams. For real.

Tip 2: Learn how to shoot in manual early on. The photographs are way yummier!

Tip 3: Find what inspires you from your family to your goldfish and in between!

Tip 4: Be unique and make sure it shows in your photographs, website and blog!

Tip 5: Push yourself to be better at each and every session.

I believe people when they now say there are certain people in your lifetime you are supposed to meet. Kelly Manno happens to be one of them. She not only documented a very important and beautiful day for Bryan and I, but she opened my eyes to an unknown dream that is slowly becoming a reality. For that, I owe her my sincere gratitude. My AH-MAZING clients are the reason why I get the chance to be a photographer and are the same people who are friends who I have turned to in times of trouble. Thank you thank you thank you. My family and friends have been my support team from the beginning. However, this whole unknown dream of mine would never have happened if it was not for my wonderful hubby who pushed me, picked me up and encouraged me when I wanted to quit and is the same guy who somedays I think knows more about photography than I do. He is my inspiration!

Here is to another successful year of Shefali Lindsey Photography! Whahooo!

As always, no post is fabulous without a picture, so here is one from my session today that I just LOVE! Stay tuned this week b/c this blog is about to get hit with some fun families!

Happy Monday!

No comments: