Sunday, August 22, 2010

Shot Party & STARstruck.

I woke up and figured it would feel like any other morning. But, it did not. I woke up feeling nervous, excited, scared and happy. I guess you can say it was a mix of emotions. All I remember is rolling over and looking at Bryan's face and just smiling. Like it was Christmas morning, and I was about to open the present I had been looking forward to for a VERY long time. I did my normal morning routine ignoring the nerves that were building up. I got dolled up, kept telling myself it was going to be a great day and to stop being so nervous.

I drove to Ameristar, met some friends for lunch and afterwards, walked upstairs to where it would all take place. Shot Party 2010. Our wedding photographer, Kelly Manno, planned, organized and hosted one amazing day for photographers near and far. And, me, well, I never felt so inspired, so lucky, and so happy to be sharing that room with over one hundred talented photographers! I listened to her story as she told of all of us how she started into this industry. She started with nothing. No classes, no understanding of how to use a camera and forget about the software programs. Kelly built her business based on faith, trust, hard work and support from her wonderful husband, family and friends. I cannot begin to tell you how big my heart was smiling. Here I was listening to the gal who inspired me to be a photographer. I felt very lucky. But, wait it gets better.

I spent the rest of the afternoon making new photographer friends, listening to advice from some of St. Louis's talented photographers and learning to shoot with different types of lighting with a gorgeous couple. The things I learned within those few hours made me want to sing, dance and leap for joy all at once. Simply put, it was incredible. Wait, it gets better. Much better.

Try to think of a teenage girl who is about to meet the Jonas Brothers. Think about how she would feel deep down inside. I'm guessing you would think she is filled with nothing short of excitement and nervousness. Well, when I heard a gal from California was coming, the same gal who is named one of the TOP ten wedding photographers in the WORLD, I freaked out. Literally. It was the week of my wedding when I figured out who the blurry person in Kelly Manno's blog was, and all I remember is screaming and yelling into the phone with excitement telling Bryan the amazing news. Poor guy could not understand anything for the first ten minutes. You can say it made that week AWESOME! And, I am pretty sure I felt like that teenage girl about to meet the Jonas Brothers.

Jasmine Star has been one of my biggest inspirations for everything-photography and life. She has this amazing drive and whatever she puts her mind to, she does it. To the fullest. She had a full ride to UCLA Law School and out of the whim, quit to become a wedding photographer. She was my age when she started into the wedding industry in Southern California (the wedding photographer capital) and she had nothing but her husband's love and support and her determination to make it. Well, she made it alright. Jasmine worked hard and she put everything on the line. Five years later, she is well-known around the world as a wedding photographer and a person! When she spoke about her journey, how she made it and her love and support from her husband, JD, I was moved. When I got the chance to meet her, I swear, my words jumbled one after the other, but I did not care. Here I was, hugging and talking to the gal who made me believe I have a chance to be big someday if I work hard. When I got the chance to meet JD, I could not help but think of Bryan. JD had the same humble, kind-hearted and loving attitude as Bryan, and it made me feel very happy and lucky to be where I am in life right now.

I walked away at the end of the day feeling ecstatic. Happy. Nervous. But, mostly ecstatic. Because, after getting to hear stories of different photographers, I found the confidence I was searching for. I realized I can do this. I am so in love with this industry and as every day passes, I find myself more and more in love with photography and people. And, I am so lucky to be sharing this profession with thousands and thousands of other photographers who have this same passion, same determination and love for photography.

A thousand thank yous go out to Kelly Manno. You put on quite the show, and I am ever so grateful you gave us all the chance to come together for such a fun, inspirational and exciting event. More so, I am thankful for having the chance to meet you a year and a half ago to be our wedding photographer. You changed a good chunk of my life for the better and for that I am so blessed. So so so excited for next year's Shot Party!

Thank you Jasmine and JD for making the trip to the Midwest and for making us smile, laugh and believe we can all be, well, fabulous! You both rock and are just a beautiful pair!

Enjoy some shots from the day! xoxo.

























1 comment:

JD said...

I think I've said this before... you're the best!! Thanks for all the kind words, we totally appreciate it! Love your post and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for you and your business! Hope I get the chance to Bryan some day. You guys are rockstars!!

JD