Friday, August 13, 2010

Shefali's Spotlight: Eat Pray Love.

Have you wanted to travel the entire world so bad that you would do about anything? And, not just the entire world, but three places where the deepest parts of your heart desires. I did when I finished this book. I read the ending, re-read the ending and ran around my bedroom searching for the largest suitcase that could house all my dresses and shoes for one year. Then, I preceded to call Bryan (who at that time was my boyfriend), asking, did I say asking, I meant pleading and begging him to quit our jobs and travel the world together. You know, go on these crazy adventures and embrace eating, praying and being in love. Together. Who would not want to do this? I am sure all of you can guess what his answer was to this lovely thought of mine. An absolute no.

Eat Pray Love moved my soul in a way I cannot describe. It allowed me to form a new attitude towards life because at that time, I needed an attitude adjustment. Real bad. I find each of the three things Elizabeth Gilbert went searching for in these three gorgeous countries are the three things I hold dear to my heart. I think my mouth was watering with a side of drool when she described the delicious pasta dishes she devoured in Italy. When she spoke of India, memories of when I was 16 years old in India visiting flooded my heart and made me grateful of the beautiful culture (and food). Her trip to Bali is why I dream and set goals in life. Time and time I have told Bryan, before we turn old and grey, we are making it to Bali because I think it exemplifies who I am. And, if we are being realistic, then I want to make it to Italy as well. Let's just hope by then, they have gluten-free gelato and pizza otherwise there might be a serious tragedy in the Lindsey household. A very serious tragedy.

If you have not given Eat Pray Love a read, I highly suggest you run to your nearest bookstore and pick up a copy and then re-read it. I promise your soul will feel uplifted and you will have a new outlook on life. As I re-read it a second time this summer (which happens with only really good books), I came across a quote that made my heart smile inside and outside. It's a lovely reminder for anyone when life gets a bit tough: "Because God never slams a door in your face without opening a box of Girl Scout cookies..."

Now, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to convince my wonderful husband to travel these three fabulous countries within one year, please send them my way!

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Megan said...

yeah, this book changed me too. i gave it to my little sister for Christmas this past year and she read it twice before her plane landed back in Mexico! if you need a traveling partner, for any trip large or small, i'm there! it'd be great to see you again and catch up anyway!!

LiCO, megan