Monday, August 9, 2010

A Glance Into My Life: Indian Food.

I have told her over and over again. Pretty please can I sign you up for the next Food Network Star?! Everytime she has laughed and said no. With a smile. I continue to tell her, you could share all of your Indian recipes with the WORLD! She gives me that same sweet smile and concludes this repetitious conversation we have with the same answer: I like cooking for my family.

My mother is hands-down the best cook I know of, and I believe in another lifetime she was a professional chef. Seriously. I do not know of many cooks who are not professional chefs but can go without measuring cups and make any dish without a recipe in front of them. Or taste something at a restaurant and try to recreate it at home. She has been cooking since she was 10 years old. She not only excels at Indian recipes while making up her own, but she makes some of the best deserts and Western dishes I have ever tasted! This is my mother-someone who one of these days will be the next Food Network Star. It is bad enough I am obsessed with this show and could watch the Food Network channel all day and maybe have been guilty of doing this all throughout college. But, I keep dreaming of the day my my mother (who may not believe it right now) could maybe cook alongside Paula Deen, Rachel Ray, Bobby Flay and Giada de Laurentiis! Hey, a gal can dream, right?!

While Bryan and I were home for the weekend visiting, my mum made my MOST favorite Indian dish-shrikand. It has the smooth texture of custard, semi-sweetness of strawberries and a hint of a strong yet delicate taste of saffron. This is the same dish that no one but my mum can make to my liking. India, a country full of flavor, could not compare to her recipe when we visited 10 years ago, which is saying a lot! So, enjoy a glance into my life of something I hold dear and near to me: Indian food! And not just any Indian food, but my most favorite. Mama, I mean it when I say, your cooking is the very best!

This is reason number 342340238940283 why Bryan and I want to move back home...so I can learn to cook just like my mum. That and so I can have yummy, home-cooked meals more than once a month!

Happy Monday!




1 comment:

Brandy Frank said...

yay! for home cooked meals!! (especially from mom!)