Friday, August 27, 2010

One Avocado.

It all started because I picked up an avocado in the grocery store. The man next to me smiled, so I smiled back. He asked, Do you like avocados? I told him that I LOVED avocados. And, that is how an ordinary Thursday morning turned into an extraordinary Thursday morning.

He is 83 years old. She is 89 years old. He turned to his wife with a smile and asked her to tell me of the amazing avocado recipe that she makes from her hometown in Argentina. She handed him one of the two items she was holding with shaky hands as she described her recipe. Her eyes had wisdom and a sparkle to them. He asked, Do you speak Spanish? I told him I wish because I think it is one of the most beautiful languages. I went on telling him I photograph people and some of my recent families are from South America, and it is my ultimate goal to visit there one day! He told me how different it is now compared to 30 or 40 years ago.

He went on to tell me they were born during the Great Depression, they traveled the world together from Italy to England to Switzerland to South America to the Pacific Islands and back for 25 years as he served in the military. They had it rough, but they had each other. Camden, MO is where he managed a company for 22 years and they ended in Kansas City. They have been married for 60 years. My heart at this point was tugging and a knot had formed deep into my throat. Because, naturally, I am sucker for older people who have been married for a long time. Ask Bryan. Everytime he tells me about his great-grandparents, I tear up a little bit more. I told them what a wonderful blessing it is for them to have such a happy marriage. I continued by telling them I just got married, and they both beamed with happiness. He pinched my cheeks and smiled. Just like my dad. He told me I had a glow on my face. He asked what my hubby did for a living. Yes, he used the word hubby, which about sent my heart to the stars and back. But, it was the next few things he said to me that had me crying in the middle of the grocery store.

You see the past few weeks have been tough. I have been scared, I have cried, I have prayed more than I ever have in my life and I have been the happiest for a number of reasons. The past few days in particular have been hard. However, each day that has been hard, God has blessed me with random people to lift my spirits and to make me stronger. So as I listened to this man in the grocery store, my heart slowly took off the free weights it had been bench pressing the past few days. He said, I knew when I first met you, there was something special about you. I could tell before you walked up. Your smile is contagious. Life is tough, but you will be grateful when you are our age. Your husband and you are going to live a beautiful life together. I just know it. So keep smiling and stay happy and stay together through the good and the bad. His wife smiled and told me to always have faith and to love one another unconditionally. Just like that, they took each other's hands and walked away telling me to live beautifully and happily.

I stood there watching them both walk off wondering if that actually happened. It was the most random thing. Ever. But, in those 10 minutes I went from being upset to being incredibly grateful. Just. Like. That.


















And, all I could think about was Bryan. How grateful I am to have him as my husband. One day when I am 87 years old and Bryan is 89 years old, I hope to tell our children and grandchildren the hardships we overcame, the successes we accomplished and the love we cherished each day! Because isn't that what life is all about in the end? Living and loving. To the fullest. And, I have one avocado to thank for this wonderful and touching story!

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

sauralicking said...

cutest story ever, i love it!

Donna Harris said...

This story gave me goosebumps AND brought tears to my eyes. What a neat experience! Thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

All it takes is one" little avacodo" toknow that God is there carrying your cross. This gentlemen was the little something that God sent you!!