Thursday, October 1, 2009

Engraved Into My Mind, Body, and Soul.

I turned my key into the apartment lock. I was tired. Work felt never ending that day. I was so glad it was Friday I thought to myself as I walked in. I looked up and stood still. My heart was pounding. I saw the tealight candles and roses. It was beautiful. Yet, I was scared. I called Martha's name out. She didn't answer. Of course not, I knew she was at work. I called your name out. You didn't answer either. I walked right back out the door. I could only imagine how confused you felt. I ran into our parking lot looking for your white truck. I didn't see it. I called you. Of course you didn't answer. I called Martha with tears forming in my eyes. I was scared, excited, and nervous. A powerful emotion. She told me it was ok and to walk back in. I walked through the door, past the beautiful candlelight and flowers in our living room and kitchen.


I saw your face. Your smile. It made me melt. I had tears strolling down my face. You took my hand and asked me to sit on my bed. You were so calm. I, however, was a Class A emotional mess. (It makes me laugh now.) You picked up your guitar. I watched your fingers glide ever so smoothly on the guitar and your voice, wow was your voice unbelievable. I had a million questions running through my head. How did you know they were one of my favorite bands let along songs? When did you learn this? You told me you couldn't play anything yet. How long had you been practicing? Did Martha know? Did your roommates know?


Your face against the candlelight made me melt even more. You finished singing. You put your guitar down and looked into my eyes. You told me I was your best friend, and I wanted to say the words back to you, but I couldn't get anything out. Your words were so powerful, but the most powerful of them all were those four words, "Will you marry me?" I chirped, "YES," you slid the beautiful ring onto my finger, and then we held each other for awhile. The day was filled with phone calls to our dearest family and friends, celebrating with good friends, toasting, laughing, smiling, taking a lot of pictures, dancing and soaking up the wonderful life we were blessed with! You made me one lucky gal that day and for the rest of our lives together.


I remember each and every detail of this day. It wasn't until we saw them live playing the same hit song this past Tuesday that I felt like I was reliving December 19th, 2008 again. It was random how we decided to go. I know you wanted to go for the same reason I did. Yes, we loved the bands that were playing that evening, but it had more of a meaning to us. We laughed that evening as the told us stories about their hometown in Ireland. We couldn't get enough of their accents. I was wrapped in your arms as they started the song. I heard the words faintly from your mouth. It made me melt all over again. This post is for you, B. I hope you know everytime I hear "Chasing Cars," I relive one of the most memorable and special days in our lives. It is this song and that day that is engraved into my mind, body, and soul forever. It reminds me how madly in love I am with you and how lucky I am to be blessed with you as my best friend and future hubby! I love you.


(Some pictures below from the Plain White T's and Snow Patrol concert when they came through KC on tour. It was pretty much amazing! Too bad I couldn't bring my camera and flash b/c I could have gotten some neat shots. These will have to do.)











No comments: